- This event has passed.
February 25, 2016 @ 12:00 pm - 1:15 pm
Grand Rapids Mayor Rosalynn Bliss became the City’s first female Mayor when she took office on January 1, 2016. She previously served as a Second Ward City Commissioner for 10 years.
Mayor Bliss also is Director of Residential Services at D.A. Blodgett-St. John’s. St. John’s Home provides emergency shelter and residential services for abused and neglected children. In addition, Mayor Bliss is an adjunct professor at Grand Valley State University’s School of Social Work.
She earned bachelor’s degrees in psychology and criminal justice from the University of South Alabama and a master’s in social work from Michigan State University.
Mayor Bliss is active in her profession and in the community. She is Vice President of the Michigan Municipal League and serves on the boards of the Interurban Transit Partnership, Kent County Land Bank Authority, Downtown Development Authority, Experience Grand Rapids, Grand Valley Metro Council and Dyer-Ives Foundation, among many other organizations.
She is a member of the Uptown Corridor Improvement District and the West Michigan Environmental Leadership Network. She also serves as Chairwoman of the Residential MIN for the Michigan Federation of Children and Families.
Mayor Bliss has been recognized and honored locally as well as statewide for her commitment, dedication and work in the field of child abuse and neglect and for her leadership in the community. Recognitions include:
- Five-time recipient of Grand Rapids Business Journal’s 40 Under Forty distinction
- Grand Rapids Business Journal 50 Most Influential Women in West Michigan
- ATHENA Young Professional Award
- Tim Pope Memorial Award for Outstanding Young Governmental Leader
- Christine Nelson Professional Award for Service to Children
- Michigan Professional Society on the Abuse of Children Special Recognition Award