4.19.18 – SPOKES Notes
SPOKES Notes written by Roger Morgenstern
- Spectrum Health is behind a unique new model for wellness and health care in downtown Grand Rapids known as Strive. Providing an overview of Strive was Dr. David Rosner, D.O., one of three medical professionals who sees patients at Strive and Mark Breon, advisory for strategic ventures and partnerships for Spectrum. They joked that seeing a Rotary STRIVE event on our upcoming Club schedule made them do a double-take!
- Strive is a membership-based program that is focused on keeping individuals “healthy and well.” Breon said Strive “is intended to be more proactive than reactive” and to practice “functional medicine to work backward and find the root of the problem.”
- Strive focuses its work on influencing its members’ lifestyle and behavior, the biggest factors to achieve good health.
- You notice the difference as soon as you walk in the front door of Strive’s offices in the Waters Building, 61 Ottawa NW:
- The comfortable, welcoming feel and bright colors tell you this is no average doctor’s office.
- And those doors are open longer, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays.
- Appointments are available within 24 to 48 hours of contacting the office; compared to a national industry average of 19 days.
- The facility can accommodate up to five medical professionals and additional locations are possible depending on growth.
- Doctors actually come out into the lobby to great patients, take them back to comfortable exam rooms and handle the patient “triage” such as getting vital signs. Time with the doctor is 30 to 40 minutes, much longer than a typical visit.
- During the appointment, the patient’s medical chart is visible on a video display, not hidden from them.
- Parking validation is available.
- Annual membership is $13.25 a month ($159 annually) and covers costs of Strive’s extra services that are not reimbursed by health insurance. Strive also has a number of community partners to assist in improving their patient’s health who may offer discounted fees to Strive members.
- Learn more at strive4u.org
News and Notes:
- Among our visitors Thursday was our District 6290 Governor Ed Swart, from the Holland Club. He shared with us, and placed postcards on tables, about the District Conference May 17, 18 &19 in Holland. Visit ridistrict6290.org for more information and to register. A district conference is a great opportunity to not only learn more about our district but also Rotary International!
- Watch for weekly e-mails and visit our website, grrotary.org, to learn about the various volunteer opportunities throughout the spring.