11.15.18 – SPOKES Notes & Photos
SPOKES Notes written by Roger Morgenstern
We were pleased to have District Governor (DG) Brian Robertson and his wife Leona join us for the annual DG visit. Brian is a member of the Sault Ste. Marie Club in Ontario and has been a Rotarian since 1985.
• DG Brian said this is his 55th Club visit since becoming District Governor July 1. That’s a pretty good clip considering RI District 6290 has 62 clubs!
• He called our Club “one of the most prestigious clubs in the District” and enjoyed time before our meeting with the Board of Directors and committee chairs to hear of all the good work we’re doing.
• He said visiting the various clubs serves as an inspiration to him, saying “together we see your world.”
• Rotary, he said, is a “membership organization first, so for Rotary to succeed we need to take care of its members.” He called Rotary “a global network of people who have the power to change the world.”
• Health-related issues need to remain a major focus for Rotary International, he said. With 844 million people worldwide living without access to clean water, it’s clear that “although Rotary has done so much in its first century this is still so much to do.”
• Eradication of polio worldwide remains within reach, with three countries of concern: Nigeria, Pakistan and Afghanistan. There have been 19 new cases in Afghanistan this year; one of the issues are rumors spread by the Taliban that the vaccination causes sterility. While 19 cases sounds small he said “if we stop now, in 10 years there will be 200,000 new cases a year.” Rotary International continues to lead the way to End Polio Now, with more than $1.9 billion raised by members alone in this decades-long fight.
• He said the Rotary International Foundation puts 91 cents of every dollar to work in programs worldwide. “every day of every year, tremendous work is being done by the Rotary Foundation.”
• He encouraged us to make time to attend the May 2-4, 2019 district conference in Sault Ste. Marie. For more information on the conference and other District events, visit www.RIDistrict6290.org