5.10.18 – SPOKES Notes
SPOKES Notes written by Roger Morgenstern
- Last week we were pleased to welcome Wayman Britt, Kent County’s new administrator/controller, for an overview of the county. Britt has been the county’s assistant administrator for more than a dozen years, taking the top spot in January. He also had a successful career at Steelcase in Grand Rapids.
- Kent County’s annual budget is $418 million with 1,700 employees. “We are about empowering people to provide you the resources for a good quality of life so you can reach your full potential,” Britt said.
- Britt said he learned a lot about interpersonal relations when he worked at Steelcase. After being laid off by the furniture manufacturer during an industry downturn, he applied for a job at Kent County and has been able to use his people skills during his time in county government. “My goal as administrator is to look at how do we increase the excellence in our workforce,” Britt said. “It’s not keeping the status quo; we want to take it to the next level.”
- Britt thanked County Treasurer (and Rotarian) Ken Parrish and staff for their work to keep the county’s bond rating at a high level which assists local governments with their own financial plans. He said efforts need to continue to keep the county’s strong financial position so it can weather future economic downturns.
- Learn more about Kent County at accesskent.com
News and Notes:
- We welcomed a whopping six new members this week: Asgerally (Asgi) Fazleabas, a professor at Michigan State University’s College of Medicine (sponsors Jerry Kooiman and Asgi’s wife Sheri Fazleabas); Linsey Gleason, attorney and partner at Varnum, LLP (sponsors Paul Farr and Carl VerBeek), Robert Haughton, Jr., a real estate agent with Five Star Real Estate (sponsor Dawn Smith); Robert Mowid, an account executive at Dewpoint (sponsors Michael Loughman and Matt Hylant); Kaylee Schultz, inventory manager for frozen, dairy and cheese products at Meijer Inc. (sponsors Roger Morgenstern and Max Smith) and Christopher Stemler, general counsel at Hope Network (sponsors Josh Verhulst and Michael Loughman).
- A reminder that we do not meet on May 24th in observance of the Memorial Day holiday.